Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is western blot test accurate in window period??
Mar 23, 2013

Hi doctor... I'm not english user, so I wonder if you can read my question. Sorry my poor english, but I have question. I had sexual realation with sexual commercial girl.( I am male and I had condom protected) After 27 days, I had ELISA test and get positive. (cut off value is 0.25 and my result is 0.43) The hospital sent this blood to upper institute, and the institute had western blot. The result is negative(I know the 'negative' means no band at all or no band except p17) I was very happy at this result. but after, I heard in window period, ELISA test is more sensitive then Westernblot. so I was worried that WB test result is false negative. so I had another ELISA test in same hospital(it's 6weeks after sex) and the value was 0.55 (0.12 higher than 4week test) hmmm... I'm very scared. Can I believe Western blot test? If I have hiv, is it possible only value '0.12' increase between 2weeks? (I wonder if it is normal fluctuation or my antibody become specifier at hiv virus)

sorry again, I'm english novice. Thank you for your concern!

Response from Dr. Wohl

What you raise is a question about the timing of these two tests becoming fully positive. During the weeks after HIV infection the ELISA will become positive before the Western blot. However, the Western blot would not be completely negative and would likely show the presence of some bands.

In your case, it sounds like the ELISA was positive and the Western blot completely negative. This suggests a false positive ELISA. You do not say but if at 6 weeks the Western blot was still negative, then you surely have a false positive ELISA and are not HIV infected.

DW

Previous
What are the chances I'm still infected??
Next
time to move on?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.