Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unsure
Mar 22, 2013

Hello, I just recently took an HIV test. I believe they took the western blot test. Every thing came back negative in it but P55 came back equivocal. I'm a nervous wreck so my question to you is what does that mean and what is P55?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- While you mention your western blot results you do not state whether an ELISA was done first that was reactive. Standard HIV-screening blood test consists of an EIA (enzyme immunoassay), like an ELISA, followed by a confirmatory Western Blot (WB). EIA screening requires a "repeatedly reactive" test, which is the criterion for Western Blot testing. Western Blot tests detect antibodies to HIV-1 proteins, including core proteins (p17, p24, p55), polymerase proteins (p31, p51, p66) and envelope glyco-proteins (gp41, gp120, gp160). Western Blot testing should always be coupled with EIA screening, because alone it has a 2% rate of false-positives. A positive WB is defined as reactivity at gp120/160 plus either gp41 or p24. An indeterminate Western Blot is defined as the presence of any band pattern that does not meet the criteria for a positive result.

Bottom line: you are HIV negative.

If you recently had a high risk exposure I would recommend retesting in 3 months to ensure you remain negative. Take care, LHW

Previous
What is my HIV Status?
Next
Question about anal sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.