Have any of you experts seen it?

Have any of the experts on this site including you sir seen a negative antibody test at 6 months turn positive later? I'm terrified because I've never gotten better since my very risky exposure, and now my gf is starting to have the exact symptoms I started with. I'm too terrified to test again cuz all I've been told is three months and your fine, and I've tested negative for all stds and hiv 4 times last one past six months. I'm so scared and need an honest answer sir. Does seroconversion happen past 6 months anymore? I'm 25 and was in good health before, also had an immunoglobulin test done at 6 months and my doctor said everything came back normal. What do I do? I'm so scared and confused. I hope you don't just say 90 days and that's it sir. Plz tell me if seroconversion past 6 months happens anymore, or when is the last case you have heard of. I got my bills from quest where my tests where done and it just says viral antibody 1/2 tests I don't even know what that is?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. First, yes, 90 days is conclusive. Let me explain a little about about the window period for testing; I hope it helps.

The reason why we don't see tests coming back positive after six months, or after three months for that matter is because the tests have become much more sensitive.

4th generation tests are able to pick up an infection as early as 28 days, with conclusive results at 90 days. Even 90 days is considered a conservative window period by many people.

As technology improves (and it will), we will eventually see the window period shorten even further.

Again, this is because the tests are more sensitive and can pick up an infection earlier. Antibody tests work by looking for antibodies that are present in the human body. Antibodies are produced as a reaction to an infection. For every cold you have ever had, your body now carries antibodies for that specific cold. The same thing goes for HIV. If you are infected with the virus, your body produces antibodies as a response to that virus. It takes time for the body to produce enough antibodies that can be detected by a test. Older tests needed more antibodies before they were able to pick up an infection, hence the longer window period.

As tests have gotten more sensitive, they are able to pick up infections earlier. The human body still produces antibodies at the same rate, the tests are now just able to detect an infection with less antibodies.

If your symptoms continue then I would suggest working with your doctor to determine other possible causes. It is not HIV.

In health,

Richard

unprotected anal sex if both test negative same night
What is my HIV Status?