16 year old Teenager and Confuse

Dear Richard; My boyfriend told me he is HIV positive and I decided to stay with him because I love him very much. I am 16 and he is 24. I am a top an he is a bottom. We planning on having sex sometime in the future but we do have oral sex. he don't pre cum much sometimes he never do when I am giving him head because I can taste it in my mouth. He is also on meds which he show me some tablets call atripla which he takes religiously. At a young age do you think I am putting myself at risk in doing orals when I am giving him head even though he don't cum inside my mouth? My best friend told me I should discontinue my relationship with him because I will eventually get infected with the HIV virus. I am depress right now and I don't even know what to do.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. I can only imagine how confusing this situation must be for you. First, you should be aware that depending on the laws in your state, having sex with your boyfriend could get your boyfriend in trouble with the law. Sex with a minor is against the law.

That aside, the risk of transmission is low, IF you always remember to use a condom for each and every act of anal sex. Oral sex is a lower risk activity. You could use condoms during oral sex if you like, but you don't have to. It is a personal choice. One piece of advice I do have is that try not to brush or floss your teeth within two hours of performing oral sex. That will help insure that there are no cuts or abrasions in your mouth that could allow the virus entry into your bloodstream.

I would suggest testing for HIV at least every six months, and preferably every three. You should be testing for all other STD's at the six month mark as well.

Your best friend is wrong. As long as you engage in safer-sex practices your risk of contracting the virus is low. The fact that your boyfriend takes his medication every day lowers the likelihood of transmission too.

BOTTOM LINE: Every day sero-discordant couples (one +/one -) engage in hot, steamy, and safe sexual practices. Check out the following sections on TheBody.com:

Prevention

Mixed-HIV-Status Couples

Good luck, and protect yourself.

In health,

Richard

Advanced Symptoms
HIV rapid blood antibody test accuracy