Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HELP!! Very scared!!! please!!! dont ignore! :(
Mar 20, 2013

Hello. I had protected insertive anal sex, BUT the condom broke and the guy found out being positive because of this incident (im negative). Here are the facts:

1) i was the insertive partner - ONLY!

2) it was a one-time occurrence

3) i noticed very soon that the condom had bronken (less than 2 minutes - in fact, i think it was less than one minute...)

4) there were no sores, lesion, blood or mucous on my peniss head or on his anus (the guy is a physician and in fact he searched for it on my penis)

5) i started PEP (combivir + kaletra) less than 41 hours after the incident and havent skip any dose for 29 days.

6) i am not circumsised.

7) the guy did 3 quick tests and 2 came back positive... one came back negative... Instead of waiting for the Elisa test, i dedided to begin PEP.

8) i have been checking my temperature since the accident and i have been paying attention to any symptoms. i havent felt anything different since that day... my temperature is normal, there has been NO lymph nodes... nothing is wrong with my body.

Given all those facts, what do you think is my risk? I have heard somewhere that because of a high viral load, that risk could be over 20%, 30% to the insertive partner... Is it correct? Should i panic? Please, i havent been sleeping for over two months now and i am very scared to do the test... please... and the irony: i have used a condom which i had received at a HIV prevention congress here in Brazil...

Sorry for my english... and thank you very much!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

In regards to your statement about a higher risk to the insertive partner when someone has a high viral load, I am not sure. I would need to see the information you are referencing.

Overall, transmission would be unlikely in this situation (for the reasons you listed). You were the insertive partner, it was brief, it was one-time, and you started PEP.

I do not think you have anything to be concerned about. Follow up with an HIV test at 90 days. I am confident the result will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Transmission risk
Next
Do you guys agree?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.