confusion about herpes

hello Richard. i had protected vaginal and protected oral sex and received a handjob without the condom. i read that you can have herpes and never show any symptoms. im 25 what if i got it and marry one day and unkowingly pass it on like when im forty to my wife or to my future kids. if thats something that can happen then i would rather never marry.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Herpes is transmitted via skin-to-skin contact. Using a condom reduces the likelihood of transmission, but does not eliminate it. Oral herpes also known as the common cold-sore is just that, common. By the age of 42, over 90% of the american public will have some form of Herpes. For many people, they were infected as children. Someone with a cold-sore gave them a kiss and poof: Herpes.

It is true, you can be infected and never show any signs or symptoms of infection. If you like, you can go in for a blood test. That will tell you whether or not you have been exposed. However, keep in mind, the blood test will only tell you IF you have been infected, but not where. If someone with a cold-sore kissed you on the cheek, they may have transmitted the virus to you. That would cause your blood test to come back positive. I say this because going in for a blood test could cause you more anxiety than necessary.

BOTTOM LINE: I don't think this is something that warrants a life-time of bachelorhood. Herpes is quite manageable, and for many, they are infected with HSV 1 orally only i.e. they have a cold-sore. For many of those people, they never actual experience a breakout.

In health,

Richard

?needlestick
Fingering, Precum, Frottage Please Help