?needlestick

i just started working as a nurse in A&E. i have nerve damage to my right thumb and am right hand dominant. i went to give a ADT to a patient and then placed a banded over the area. i disposed of the sharps then removed my gloves and as i was doing so i not a hole in my right thumb. i noticed a cut on my right thumb were my nerve damage is and immediately started to milk the area but nothing happened. i washed my hands and talked to my in charge, who decided i should fill out the exposure forms.i never felt a stick but i dont always feel because of nerve damage and there was no puncture wound just a scrap from something through my glove and finger with no blood present and unable to milk. i dont even know how i would stab myself with the hand i was holding the injection with. do think i over reacted or am i at risk of HIV/HCV

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

At this point we don't even know if you were stuck with the needle. I would follow through with whatever protocols your employer has put in place. This will likely include testing when appropriate. Since there was no blood, my assumption is that there was no needle-stick. Time and tests will tell, though. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

PEP medications
confusion about herpes