Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is HIV possible through only Precum?
Mar 17, 2013

I'm a female and had unprotected sex for a few seconds on jan 1st. His penis did not go ALL the way inside and we were more playing around than having full on sex. I made him put on a condom after a few seconds though. I regret getting caught up in the moment. I'm usually super careful. Unfortunately, I did get HPV from the experience, but I'm more worried about HIV. I looked at the symptoms and after 2 days I got pretty sick, but I was on vacation so it could have been from anything there.. Then recently I got a mild cold (I'm sure it was stress induced after being told I have HPV).. I asked the guy I slept with if he gets tested and he says he always does and does blood work because he has other problems. He seemed sure he doesn't have HIV but how would I know if they check specifically for HIV in his blood work because he said he's testing for other problems? Anyways, I haven't had a rash or any other problems. Can someone please tell me my risk? I've been pretty scared and can't seem to calm myself down.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I'm glad to hear that you were able to stop things before getting too carried away and got a condom! You are correct in that blood work doesn't contain HIV results unless they are specifically ordered. Symptoms of HIV infection would not occur as soon as you felt symptoms, but the thing to remember is that there are other sexually transmitted infections (STI) out there that you need to be concerned about as well. If you symptoms continue I would recommend that you follow up with your health care provider for evaluation. As for your risk of HIV transmission from what you described it is very small! Of course the only way to truly know your status is to be tested.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Possible HIV transmission.... (Desperately need answer)
Next
test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.