Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible HIV transmission.... (Desperately need answer)
Mar 17, 2013

Today I was at the gas station I am usually very careful about touching the number pad and I never touch the pump with my bare hands. But, I was driving in my car and put hand sanitizer on my hands. I did not notice any blood on my hands. I have a very dry nose and I picked my nose and I looked at my finger and I saw a little blood on it; which looked fresh. I cleaned my finger off then picked it again and the nasal secretion had a little blood caked on it as well as a little fresh blood. My concern is that the blood on my finger the first time I picked my nose is not mine, but somehow made it under my finger nail at the gas station. I want to know if I would be at risk if the blood was not mine. I picked my nose about 15 minutes after leaving the gas station and the blood I saw on my finger was fresh looking which makes me think it was just from my nose, since my nose has been bleeding a bit. I would think that blood under my nail after 10-15 minutes would be dry and not fresh looking. I am just incredibly anxious and scared. I know I may sound like a lunatic, but your answer would be very comforting.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi No reason for concern! If it were not your blood, HIV begins to die once it is leaves the body and is unable to infect. HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct exchange of body fluid. This incident if it were not your blood, was not that, a direct exchange. Because if it were blood it had dried and if HIV were in it, it has died and is unable to infect.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
toothbrushes used directly after someone
Next
Is HIV possible through only Precum?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.