Hiv testing confusion

Dear Mr Glenn, I had unprotected sex with a sex worker on September 27th 2012. I did an ELisa hiv blood test at 3 months and 5 months, results were negative. I am due to take another test at 6 months. Can I take my 6 months test at 180 days or 168 days (24 weeks)? I am very anxious Mr Glenn. Please give me your expert advice on my situation as it is really stressing me out from my day to day activities. I know some doctors in my country say 3 months is conclusive and other doctors say 6 months ? I just want to get over this 6 months and move on with my life. I also have a very nice wife and 2 great kids that i dont want to dissapoint. I have forgiven myself but still feel very guilty for the mistake I have made. I am currently seeing a therapist who has placed me on anti-depressants to get over this nightmare that does not want to leave my mind. Thanks in advance for your advice Mr Glenn. God Bless you and your family and keep up the great work.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I'm sorry to hear how much anxiety you have right now... While this may not feel helpful, the difference between 168 days and 180 days is negligible. In other words it doesn't make much difference. This is because it's actually VERY rare to take as long as 6 months to get an accurate HIV test.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Do i have hiv or herpes ?
What is the percentage of chance that HIV coud be spread through sharing smoking pipes/nasal tooters