The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv testing confusion

Mar 17, 2013

Dear Mr Glenn, I had unprotected sex with a sex worker on September 27th 2012. I did an ELisa hiv blood test at 3 months and 5 months, results were negative. I am due to take another test at 6 months. Can I take my 6 months test at 180 days or 168 days (24 weeks)? I am very anxious Mr Glenn. Please give me your expert advice on my situation as it is really stressing me out from my day to day activities. I know some doctors in my country say 3 months is conclusive and other doctors say 6 months ? I just want to get over this 6 months and move on with my life. I also have a very nice wife and 2 great kids that i dont want to dissapoint. I have forgiven myself but still feel very guilty for the mistake I have made. I am currently seeing a therapist who has placed me on anti-depressants to get over this nightmare that does not want to leave my mind. Thanks in advance for your advice Mr Glenn. God Bless you and your family and keep up the great work.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I'm sorry to hear how much anxiety you have right now... While this may not feel helpful, the difference between 168 days and 180 days is negligible. In other words it doesn't make much difference. This is because it's actually VERY rare to take as long as 6 months to get an accurate HIV test.

Hope this helps!


Do i have hiv or herpes ?
What is the percentage of chance that HIV coud be spread through sharing smoking pipes/nasal tooters

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint