Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I have contracted HEP C from my mom?
Mar 16, 2013

My mom had me really premature in '91 and she had to have a blood transfusion because she was losing a lot of blood during my birth, At that time the blood was contaminated. So , my question is, Could I have contracted it from her? I'm now 21 . Should I get tested?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Let me correct you on one of your points first: all blood wasn't contaminated, it was rather that all blood wasn't tested for Hepatitis C yet.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your mom got her blood transfusion after you were delivered. Therefore you would never have come in contact with infected blood and Hepatitis C is only transmitted through blood. (Even if your mom received blood during labor, I'd find it hard to conceive that the blood went through her system and infected you in utero since the risk of Hep C infection from mother to child in utero is very low anyway!)

Therefore, it doesn't sound like this would be an issue for you.

I'll be honest with you though, from the moment I read your story.. I was a little confused why you weren't more concerned over the health of your mother. She was the one that received the blood.

Hope this helps..

Erik

Previous
Strangers blood on my boxers, is it an hiv risk?
Next
has my daughter been exposed to aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.