Can I have contracted HEP C from my mom?

My mom had me really premature in '91 and she had to have a blood transfusion because she was losing a lot of blood during my birth, At that time the blood was contaminated. So , my question is, Could I have contracted it from her? I'm now 21 . Should I get tested?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Let me correct you on one of your points first: all blood wasn't contaminated, it was rather that all blood wasn't tested for Hepatitis C yet.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your mom got her blood transfusion after you were delivered. Therefore you would never have come in contact with infected blood and Hepatitis C is only transmitted through blood. (Even if your mom received blood during labor, I'd find it hard to conceive that the blood went through her system and infected you in utero since the risk of Hep C infection from mother to child in utero is very low anyway!)

Therefore, it doesn't sound like this would be an issue for you.

I'll be honest with you though, from the moment I read your story.. I was a little confused why you weren't more concerned over the health of your mother. She was the one that received the blood.

Hope this helps..

Erik

Strangers blood on my boxers, is it an hiv risk?
has my daughter been exposed to aids