Worried on continuous symptoms

Dr. Shannon, Congrats for the wonderful job you are doing for the public I had a sexual encounter with an African prostitute last year. It was unprotected. In two weeks i had a severe sore throat, canker sores in my mouth, dysentry, joint pains, muscle pains, headache and swollen lymph nodes. Everything disappeared in two weeks except for swollen lymph nodes. My lymph nodes ( above the collar bone , one above the knee and many under the jaw) are still swollen. So my doctor asked me to do an HIV test. I had taken a 4th generation duo test at 68 days ECLIA and PCR RNA qualitative test at 69 days and both were non reactive. I again took a 4th generation duo test at 90 days, ECLIA method and it was negative. But my lymph nodes are still swollen and they are rock hard. So my doctor asked me to do another test again at 6 months. i did that as well and it was non reactive again at 6 months, 4th generation duo using CMIA method. I also did due test from two other labs using ECLIA method, Abbott Architect and another Cobas E411.My doctor still says that i must do a one year test. Im a father and responsible husband and i can't take this trauma anymore. I feel very scared and I don't think i have the ability to do one more test. I feel so scared facing the test. I dream HIV now...is there any chance that my tests would have missed anything? Is there a chance that the antibodies / antigens were not picked up by the test? I feel so worried and my life is like hell. DR, please help me with your knowledge. My doctor insists that since i had all the symptoms of acute HIV infection, I must continue to test. Also, last week my wife had two eye infections, one each in Feb and March and the Dr. said she has an immunity disorder. Im now scared that I have passed on to her since i started having unprotected sex with her after 6 months. The CSW I had sex with was from Cameroon. is there any chance I contracted N or P trait of HIV which is not picked up with my tests which only looked fro M and O. ( months from the exposure, I still have swollen lymph nodes, at lest 15, under the jaw on both sides and also on my collar bone. No other symptoms. The labs say the tests are absolutely conclusive but the Dr. says retest. The Dr. is not an HIV specialist though. Just a family Dr. Shall i or forget it and continue life and move on?

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested 3 weeks post exposure then again at 90 days. as long as there were no other exposure during that time. With your testing history you are HIV free. You must remember there are other sexually transmitted infections out there to be concerned about besides HIV. I would recommend that you have your healthcare provider check you for these as well as your wife. But as far as your HIV test and again as long as there have been no other exposures the test is conclusive.

Be well, Shannon

Blood Exposure
Anal bleeding hiv.