Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could this happen?
Mar 14, 2013

Can/could hiv be transmitted through abrasions/cuts on the skin that are one day old and not fully healed...if someone who is hiv+ touched them with blood on their fingers. Thank you in advance for your respoonse, I am very concerned and freaking out about these cuts onmy neck and blood from hairdresser who cut her finger while cutting my hair. She is hiv+ so this is why i am so worried. I have gone to her for a long time and this is first time anything like this has happened!

Again, Thank You!

Response from Ms. Southall

HI The risk of HIV transmission this way carries an extremely low risk. Your cuts being a day old your body has already started healing and closing off to let outside germs in. Your hairdresser cutting herself there would need to be a significant amount of blood going directly into your cuts. That's the only way for HIV transmission to occur is with direct exchange of body fluid and your experience did not pose the risk. Also assuming she is in care and on treatment her viral load is most likely undetectable which means the risk of her transmission is reduced by up to 96%.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Oil and latex
Next
What to trust?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.