Oil and latex

I looked through the archives and there are conflicting answers to similar questions. I even called the CDC and they weren't much help either.

If an oil based lubricant is used with a latex condom that DOES NOT BREAK, is there any increased risk of HIV exposure?

I've seen older answers on the site that say yes because of microscopic tears, but more recent answers say that the only risk is an increased chance of breakage. The CDC just gives the ambiguous answer that it decreases the effectiveness. How? By leading to breakage or by introducing microscopic tears?

Hi Oil based lubricants can decrease the effectiveness of the latex condom. Not every time but it is not the best lubricant to use because it does break down the latex to the point of breakage. Water based lubricant will not do that to a latex condom and the best lubricant to use to ensure protection.

Just want to see if I understand
Could this happen?