The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS or... Not ARS haha

Mar 11, 2013

Hello there Ms Southall!

Three weeks after I had an "incident", I became sick. And I was wondering if what I had experienced may have been ARS.

I know they are flu-like symptoms, but that can be a vague identification so I was wondering if you could give me advice on my particular symptoms:

Sort of Fever? (99.5 degrees Fahrenheit)

Very congested left nostril, than the congestion switched to the right (but they were never both congested at the same time)

Runny nose

Very very mild joint pain (my ankle hurt for about an hour or two)

A headache

and NO sore throat, which I found a pleasant surprise seeing as I thought a sore throat was a wonderful package that always comes with getting either the cold or the flu.

Sickness lasted about five days until I fully recovered.

So do they symptoms sound like ARS? Thank you so much for the answer!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi There are many different symptoms for HIV and everyone can experience them differently. The usual ones are similar to flu like symptoms. If you feel you have put yourself at risk the only way to truly know your status is to get tested. The guidelines are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days and as long as the time between exposure and the 90 days there have been no other exposures then the results are conclusive.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Hospital volunteer, exposure risk?
Protected sex with pimple scared!?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint