The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How soon should i test?

Mar 7, 2013

1)I am a male and I have had multiple female partners for the last ten years .But always I have used a condom.I do not recollect any accidental tear of condom.My last encounter was two days ago.How soon after this or how late after this should i test?And how frequently after that,assuming I will change my sexual behavior? (2)What exactly is the test I must do.I hear several different names (3) Are Home test kits any good at all? Where do I get them?I live in India.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

You must wait 90 days before you can get a conclusive negative result. Congratulations on always using condoms. That's one of the best ways to stay HIV negative!

Since you used a condom, I do not think you need to test for this incident in particular, but I do think you should start testing for HIV and all other STD's at least once a year, and preferably every six months. It's always good to know your status. Plus, some STD's like Syphilis are transmitted via skin-to-skin contact. Using a condom helps reduce the likelihood of transmission, but it does not eliminate it.

FDA approved home tests are very accurate at 90 days or later. I am not sure what tests have been approved in India. I would suggest a general Google search for local community centers or other places where you might be able to get tested for free, and within 20 minutes. I hope this helps.

In health,


6 week HIV Duo negative, feeling weakness in legs
oraquick home results

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint