6 week HIV Duo negative, feeling weakness in legs

Hello Doctor, I was receptive in unprocted anal sex (3 times with same person). He told me that he was clean and we also did an ELISA test the next day and he came out negative. But he told me he had sex the day before with me. I was tested negative in HIV Duo test 6 weeks post exposure . Now nearly 1 week after the test I am feeling weakness in legs/arms, pain in joints. Could this be a sign of seroconversion (HIV) ? Even if I am going through sero-conversion, won't the test pick it just 1 week before this as the antigen might be somewhere around peek at that time ? I am really worried. Please suggest

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I would expect the duo test to pick up the infection. However, we cannot determine a conclusive negative result until the 90 day mark. Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. I would follow up with a 90 day antibody test. I am sure your result will remain negative.

If someone is "clean" because they do not have HIV, does that make someone like me who is living with HIV "dirty"? It does not. Using the word "clean" is is an insult to those who live with this disease everyday, and is not a reliable indicator of someones status.

Please remember, using a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex is one of the best ways to protect yourself against HIV and many other STD's.

In health,

Richard

2.

My brain tells me I'm OK, my guts are not convinced...
How soon should i test?