Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

6 month question
Mar 7, 2013

What is the percentage of ppl turning positive after a 6 month negative hiv test? Or does that happen with antibody test anymore. I see a lot of questions about it and no definate answers. You guys here are experts so I figured I'd put my money on you. My doctor is just a regular doctor and doesn't know what's wrong with me, but says its no way hiv. I've been tested for all stds including hiv to six months past last exposure. Do you agree with him. I posted on another site and they said no way past three months, but I'm still terrified with the symptoms. I've read hep c is the only thing other than chemo, or anti rejection drugs that can delay seroconversion. So I tested for that as well and negative at six months too. What do you suppose next? Maybe I'm just not producing antibodies? I've read that some ppl don't produce detectable antibodies by 6 months and end up dying by like three years. :( plz give me a clear good answer mam for I'm terrified I'm one of those ppl.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days and as long as there have been no other exposures during that 90 day period the test results are conclusive. Testing has changed over the years and has gotten more sensitive. It used to be a year of testing and then down to 6 months and now it is 3 months and down the pipeline is coming a month.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
hiv test question
Next
Worried about HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.