The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Still. Hoping for your advise.

Mar 7, 2013

Good Day,

I had an exposure on May 9th with a prostitute that was on her period. I had problems getting my penis up due to alcohol. So I use new condoms every vaginal penetration which happened 3 times. The blood on my pelvis worried me for STD/Transmission. So after 2-3 weeks after exposure I had an HIV test. It was negative. But still worried for STDs so after a week I had a thorough STD workup all came out negative. Still the HIV scare was still haunting me. In my curiosity I found a HIV urine HIV rapid test lying around. So I took it a low behold it came out positive 3 consecutive times. I got so freaked out so I went to the hospital to confirm this. The medical practitioner advised me that urine is not an ELISA approved sample and she said that blood is the best way to check for HIV. So I had a HIV Combo test. My test came out negative this was 4 months post exposure. But still I am so worried. All my exposures were protected. Should I still be worried? Hoping for your advise.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 90 days, if there are no other exposures during that 90 days then the results of the test are conclusive. So at 4 months and again as long as there have been no other exposures during this time than you are HIV free.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

vaginal discharge???
oral sex , viral load Undetectable

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint