Would this blood still be infectious? Curious?

Hello Shannon,

I'm a frequent reader of the forums here and am glad that you are back and doing well! My question deals mostly with blood. I've read this forum a lot and a common answer is the hiv cannot live long outside the body and that it becomes unable to infect after roughly a minutes time.

Taking that into consideration would you say that if there were blood on the floor, we'll say a small puddle more than a few drops, that the hiv would be dead after five to ten minutes time? On that note if the hiv wasn't dead would it be unable to infect?

The reason I'm asking is because you hear the term that dried blood poses no risk quite often but what if the blood is still wet, sticky due to coagulation? After five or ten minutes it definitely isn't fresh anymore so I would think it would pose less risk if not no risk even if it did manage to get on or in you somehow.

Regards, Clint

Hi Definitely after 5 -10 minutes HIV has died and is unable to infect. Whether it is still "wet" or not. It is unable to infect.

Hiv antibody test 7 weeks
vaginal discharge???