Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/HCV TESTING QUESTION..PLEASE ANSWER
Mar 4, 2013

Hi Shannon, I had unprotected sex in Sept with someone who said that they are clean as a whistle. I am still in contact with this person and they maintain that they have been tested before and have only had unprotected sex with me since being tested. I got tested anyway to get some piece of mind. I got tested for HIV using the rapid INSTI test on Feb 1/13 and it came back non-reactive and I felt some relief as this is well outside the window period. However, I read like many others that HIV and HCV co-infection can cause delayed HIV seroconversion. I got tested for HCV using an antibody test and it came back negative, I found out that the HCV test is not conclusive until after 6 months. My question is if I have yet not developed the antibodies for HCV can I trust my HIV test result? Should I get re-tested for HCV and/or HIV once 6 months have passed. Thank you for answering my question. I truly appreciate it as I have been extremely anxious over the whole ordeal.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The HIV testing guidelines are to be initially tested at 3 weeks and again at 90 days as long as there are no other exposures then the test is conclusive. Hepatitis will not interfere with tests results. The test is looking for your body buidling antibodies against HIV this will occur if HIV is present, and having any other type of infection or bacteria does not delay that from happening.

You can rest assured that your HIV test is conclusive.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Mixed Status Couple
Next
Seroconversion after 6 months???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.