The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mixed Status Couple

Mar 3, 2013

I'm 35 years female I live with my partner for 5 years before a year his states positive and he take lamuviden & zedovudin & efaviren my states is negative before 3 month still we used un protected sex because he want a baby from me i know my life is on the risk. Now i'm afraid for checking my status i'm play with fire what can i do please help me.

God Bless U!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi There have been studies out that show someone on medication and having an undetectable viral load reduces the risk of HIV transmission by up to 96%. There have been many couples that I have worked with who have chosen this path to get pregnant, yes it is a risk but it is a choice that you and your partner make together. I would make sure you are working with his health care provider and a specialist in the OBGYN area to ensure that you are doing everything right and are protecting yourself in the best way. There is a medication that has been approved for HIV negative people to take, Truvada, which prevents transmission. You should talk to the doctors about this medication and being placed on it. It is possible and being afraid is a normal feeling, but don't let it overwhelm your thoughts and moving forward. There are lots of magnetic couples out there who have healthy families, you can be one of them.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Many times of questioning!! Please answer am i in the risk??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint