Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Answer Me
Mar 2, 2013

Hi, I Have A Question About Risk Of HIV+. 3 Days Ago I Saw A Basket Of Dead Body Organs (Animals) In A Street Near Our Home. There Was A Head Of Fish Inside The Basket. It Got My Attention And I Picked It Up. It Was So Dry That I Couldn't Open It's Mouth But It Still Had Blood. It Was In My Hands And I Touched My Nose And Smoke A Cigarette And After Minutes I Went To Bathroom And Touched My Penis In Order To Pee. There Was NO Visible Blood On My Left Hand (That I Used To Touch My Penis And Smoking A Cigarette) And There Was Smaller Than A Drop Dry Visible Blood On My Right Hand (That Used To Touch My Nose) I Didn't Feel Anything Wet On My Hands, But As I Said There Was A Small Amount Of Blood That Seemed To Be Dry On My Right Hand. I Just Think That It's 1% Possible For Some Human Blood To Exist On The Head Of The Fish. Because It Was Cut By Someone (A Butcher's That Wore Gloves But Not Metal Gloves And I'm Not Sure Whether He Cuts His Hand Or Not, Also Not Sure Whether The Gloves Were Standard Or Not), I Think It's Possible For The Butcher To Have HIV+ (At Least 1%) Although I Don't Know Anything About Him. In The Most Pessimistic Scenario (The Butcher Is HIV+ And Accidentally Cuts His Hands And Threw Some Meat Infected By Blood To That Basket And His Blood Somehow Infect The Head Of Fish And I My Hands Were Infected By Blood And Then Touch My Nose, Penis And Use A Cigarette) Am I At Risk Of HIV? TnX, I Must Add That HIV IS THE MOST HORRIBLE THING IN MY LIFE So I Need To Get Answer As Soon As Possible.

Response from Dr. Young

Let me be clear: I don't answer "Do I have HIV" questions on the Forum, but yours is so different it's worth a reply.

No. Absolutely no. You did not have an HIV exposure.

In the ~35 million cases of HIV in the world, this has never been reported (so the risk, at greatest is 1 in 35,000,001). You would be roughly 50 times more likely to be struck by lighting.

If you're worried about your risk of getting HIV, the only way to know is to get regular testing.

BY

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am sorry, but I can not help but ask why in the world would you go out of your way to reach into a basket of animal parts (why there were animal parts laying about is a totally different line of questioning) and pick up its contents? Really. Why?

Despite the wisdom of such an act, you can rest assured that you did not have your curiosity rewarded with HIV infection. No matter if the butcher was HIV infected and teeming with virus, there is no conceivable way that virus would get from him to a fish head to you.

Next time, I recommend you just keep walking.

DW

Previous
Thanks a lot !!
Next
MAC, mycobacterial diseases

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.