testing

Dear Shannon, I received oral sex from a prostitute and the contact was extensive, about 45 minutes. Unprotected penetration was not involved. I did not worry at first but seven weeks later I had a strong virosis with fever and headache, though with no swollen nodes. The symptoms last for 4 days and disappeared. Now, its been 6 months that I had this flu and sometimes I worry, trying to replay in my head if there was any riskier behavior that day... Should I get tested or forget definitively about it?

Hi Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. But it does carry a risk for other sexually transmitted infections. If your symptoms continue I would encourage you to get evaluated by your health care provider. It is also always good to know your HIV status and the testing guidelines are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure than again at 90 days the results are conclusive at this point.

worried about blood on paper towel...
Am I crazy or sick??