HIV Gas Pumps

Hi Doc,

I recently read online that there have been some incidents of hiv needles hidden under gas pump handles. I have really bad anxiety and after i finished pumping gas i saw m index finger blood under my skin but no pain or bleeding. Would i have felt the prick or am i going crazy? I may have hurt my finger another way. But it's driving me crazy right now. Please help.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- This is a hoax and not true. See below the statement from the CDC regarding needle sticks that occur outside of the health care system.

"While it is possible to get infected with HIV if you are stuck with a needle that is contaminated with HIV, there are NO documented cases of transmission outside of a health-care setting.

CDC has received inquiries about used needles left by HIV-infected injection drug users in coin return slots of pay phones, the underside of gas pump handles, and on movie theater seats. Some reports have falsely indicated that CDC "confirmed" the presence of HIV in the needles. CDC has not tested such needles nor has CDC confirmed the presence or absence of HIV in any sample related to these rumors. The majority of these reports and warnings appear to be rumors/myths."

Take care and pump away, that is if you can afford it.

LHW

What are the chances?
please help