Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are the chances?
Feb 27, 2013

The other day, my roommate had unprotected sex with this girl who was HIV+. So now he is infected. The day after he was infected, so he is one day HIV+, the same girl gave his a hand job. Some of his infected semen got on her hands and she touched the door knob with the hand with the infected semen on it. Six hours later, so the semen would be dry, I touched the doorknob with my right hand and cleaned an open wound with the same hand without washing my hands in between. So I am worried that when I was washing my open wound, that the HIV virus entered my bloodstream. What are the chances that I was transmitted HIV in this situation?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Wait wait wait..!

So your roommate had unprotected sex with a girl that you know is HIV+ and became HIV+ himself the next day??

It doesn't work that way.

If your roommate did in fact have unprotected sex with someone who was HIV+, he needs to wait 3 months to be tested to know whether or not he actually became infected.

But instead of being curious about his status, it sounds like you're more concerned with your own risk. Which is completely non-existant.

Even if he had HIV and his semen got rubbed onto a doorknob, there's no risk from that. HIV needs to come out of someone's body and go immediately/directly inside of your body. That didn't happen.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
What dose HIV + but (undectible) mean?
Next
HIV Gas Pumps

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.