Unprotected sex with hiv positive man

Had unprotected anal sex with an hiv positive man. Been tested by elisa only to 26 weeks after exposure. Still have so many awful symptoms that all point to hiv. Am I ok to have unprotected sex with my monogamous partner who is completely clean. Have tested negative for all stds at 26 weeks. We want to try for a baby. I'm so scared that all four negatives out to 26 weeks may be false negatives because of not producing antibodies. :(

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

To find out your HIV status, we recommend getting tested at 3 months after you had risk. There is a very small chance that it could take as long as 6 months, but that's it.

You waited much longer than any of that! That means you DID NOT get HIV from the man you had sex with.

It might take a second to let go of this situation though.. it sounds like you've been worried for a long time. If you're having trouble moving on, I would encourage you to focus your energy on finding the resources to help with that piece (since you're status is pretty much cleared up).

Hope this helps!

Erik

Accidents
Question regarding possible route of transmission