The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Definate exposure" response

Feb 27, 2013

Don't know what you mean by "what does she say?", but she knows what I'm afraid of and she keeps telling me I'm fine along with my regular doctor who is just an internal med doc. She says I've done all the testing that says I should be just fine. It's just I'm so scared with these symptoms I've been dealing with. Over three months after exposure my doc did a CBC, and all kinds of other tests on my body including liver function and stuff and everything has came back good. They checked my immune system somehow by blood draw and said it was normal. I think my WBC was at like 950 or 960? They just think I'm nuts and say I'm perfectly normal and my doc says he doesn't know what else to test for. There are no infectious disease docs in my area to go to for a different type of test. My doc says he can only order the hiv test it shows on the screen which is antibody. Do you think I need something like a Naat or PCR RNA?

Response from Dr. Wohl

WHen you asked about is it safe to have sex with your girl friend I was suggesting that she also be in on the decision given your exposure. I agree with your doctors that you are not infected. If an undetectable HIV RNA test will convince you, then it may be worth the expense. When it returns negative you can be reassured and if still ill look to alternative diagnoses. DW

Herpes and HIV
Hiv and the digestive tract.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint