For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Non-sexual Transmission through Urethra

I would first of all like to thank the expert that is going to take the time to answer my question in advance! My question today is in regards to the possibility of environmental transmission of HIV through the urethra.

If the tip of a person's penis (directly on the opening to the urethra) were to come in contact with fresh, infected semen (or another bodily fluid) on a toilet seat or the top of a toilet bowl, would there be any risk of infection present? Or would this situation not pose any risk despite the bodily fluid's freshness?

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I would greatly appreciate an answer such that I can quell my fears due to such a situation occurring to me. Thank you again!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

This doesn't at all sound risky for getting HIV. This is for a couple of reasons:

1) Semen would've needed to have just come out of someone's body and then come in contact with the urethra. In a bathroom, the time between people using the toilet is entirely too long (and therefore wouldn't be considered fresh anymore)

2) While an infectious fluid on the urethra technically could pose a risk, that's a very small area to infection.. as opposed to very large areas like the inside of the vagina or rectum. The fluid needs to be kinda pushed up inside the urethra. That would happen during sex, but not from simply touching the fluid.

Hope that's helpful!

do i need testing?
HIV Chances