Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Baby's Risk Assessment
Feb 20, 2013

Dear Richard,

I have a baby girl & I m very concerned that she might have contracted HIV and/or HEP C. I was visiting my neighbour, with unknown HIV and HEP C status. As I was changing my baby's diaper,and cleaning her organs with baby wipes, my neigbour insisted to help by taking my baby to the bathroom & washing her organs with water in the water sink. I kept saying no & made up excuses for my decision, but my neighbour just insisted & took my baby to the bathroom. Of course, I accompanied her. My concern is that I noticed that my neighbour's finger nails were not that short. So, I am afraid that she might have scratshed my baby's skin as she was washing her. Also, the skin of my baby's organs is inflammed & has cracks..Not knowing the HIV and HEP C status of my neighbour, and due to the fact that I have no idea if my neighbour's fingers were bleeding or had any kind of injury right before washing my baby's organs, I am literally freaking out. Assuming that my neigbour is infected, what are the chances of my baby's contracting HIV and HEP C given this incident?? Should my baby get tested? Appreciate your prompt feedback.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Why would I assume that your neighbor is infected with HIV and Hepatitis C? Those are two HUGE assumptions that a person should never make. I do not think it is likely that your neighbor is infected with HIV or Hepatitis C.

If your neighbor was infected by HIV and/or Hepatitis C, there would still be NO RISK in this situation.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Anal sex with strangers
Next
Can I give HIV To My Boyfriend If the Condom Broke

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.