Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

plz Mr.Cordova i need an answer(living in the middle east where hiv is a taboo)
Feb 18, 2013

Hello Mr.Cordova, Plz this is my 4th time to ask and i still need a straight answer even though i read the archives about the subject. 2 months ago i had unprotected oral sex with an unknown hiv status guy. It was my first time doing such a sexual act. Back then,i had a small fresh cut on the inside of my labia majora due to a rasor and it was slightly bleeding 3 hours before the act,then the bleeding part stoped. The guy touched the cut with his fingers and his tongue. Since it was dark i couldnt tell if he had blood on his fingers or inside his mouth. Ok,i wouldnt relate my flu like symptoms to the exposure since its not a gd idea to diagnose hiv from such symptoms,but i want to say that i have flu like symptoms and was terrified!

What i need to know is: is the inside part of labia majora considered a mucous membrane? And how much time does a cut present on that area to forme a scab? Assuming that the guy had little blood on his finger while touching my cut, could his blood enter a 3 hours non bleeding cut and provoque a risk for hiv transmission? Plz dr answer me this time cz i live in the middle east where the hiv topic still a hard subject to talk about,and i feel so alone in this situation.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- Yes, the area you describe would be considered a mucous membrane and if you had an open cut AND the person had an open cut and you exchanged blood/secretions via said cut you could possibly transmit HIV that way. That being said, this is very very unlikely. I would rest assured that you are in fact negative and the flu was just that, a flu. Get tested at 4 weeks to reassure yourself. Take care LHW

Previous
Sharing drink after an hiv person.
Next
Do symptoms confirm hiv infection ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.