Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concern for child
Feb 17, 2013

My son touched a door handle with visible dry blood on it. He may have had a fresh scratch on his hand from previous activities. If I understand correctly, HIV is not transmitted in this way, but I am concerned about hep c since I've read it can still live in dried blood. I washed his hands with germx immediately afterwards, and he complained that it burned a little bit. I think I would have noticed if he were bleeding. could I have spread the virus into his wound when cleaning with germx? Also, has anyone ever gotten hepatitis c from a bathroom? Unfortunately, I occasionally see dried blood in women's restrooms, and my son wants to touch everything. Thank you for your help!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question and concern,

You're right, HIV is not transmitted by dry blood.

However, there's no significant risk for Hep C from what you're describing. If there were, from the incredibly common behavior of a child you're talking about, then tons of children would be infected with Hep C. That's just not the case!

Even though Hep C can be transmitted through dry blood, it still needs to get inside a person's body. That doesn't happen by merely touching blood.

I understand that you're concerned because you think your son had a fresh scratch but that is NOT an opening into his blood.

To illustrate: your son would've needed to cut his hand open in an obvious way (this happens with a knife or something, then that other blood (dry or wet) would've needed to have gotten inside that open wound.

That is worlds away from what happened with your son..

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
It's all in the blood
Next
Cut from HIV Test box (Donation?)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.