Concern for child

My son touched a door handle with visible dry blood on it. He may have had a fresh scratch on his hand from previous activities. If I understand correctly, HIV is not transmitted in this way, but I am concerned about hep c since I've read it can still live in dried blood. I washed his hands with germx immediately afterwards, and he complained that it burned a little bit. I think I would have noticed if he were bleeding. could I have spread the virus into his wound when cleaning with germx? Also, has anyone ever gotten hepatitis c from a bathroom? Unfortunately, I occasionally see dried blood in women's restrooms, and my son wants to touch everything. Thank you for your help!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question and concern,

You're right, HIV is not transmitted by dry blood.

However, there's no significant risk for Hep C from what you're describing. If there were, from the incredibly common behavior of a child you're talking about, then tons of children would be infected with Hep C. That's just not the case!

Even though Hep C can be transmitted through dry blood, it still needs to get inside a person's body. That doesn't happen by merely touching blood.

I understand that you're concerned because you think your son had a fresh scratch but that is NOT an opening into his blood.

To illustrate: your son would've needed to cut his hand open in an obvious way (this happens with a knife or something, then that other blood (dry or wet) would've needed to have gotten inside that open wound.

That is worlds away from what happened with your son..

Hope this helps!

Erik

It's all in the blood
Cut from HIV Test box (Donation?)