hiv by cigarette

ok so situation is this i split a cigarette with some one i later found out that they have aids fml my lips where chapped bad enough to where there was a paper cut size irritation really wasn't big or deep enough to the point of bleeding of bleeding. how at risk am i to catching hiv I have read up on it an know that its passed through sex, open cuts and non c section births, i know saliva doesn't carry the virus but i read if the other person had an open sore i would be at risk but I've also read from another source that it would take a copious amount of blood for hiv to spread that way, is this true? also how long do i have to wait to test for me to be 100% in the test results and which is faster/more accurate: blood test or the swab test i can buy down the street at cvs

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is absolutely no risk from the situation you're talking about. The reason? You actually mentioned all the reason yourself: saliva does not transmit HIV.

It is very important to remember that HIV is a relatively hard virus to get (you mentioned this yourself). You can absolutely share a cigarette with someone with HIV. In fact, you can share glasses, eating utensils and all sorts of stuff without having any risk for HIV!

Hope this helps!

Erik

P.S. Just to make sure it's clear, there since you had no risk for HIV, you did not catch HIV, and therefore don't need to be tested. But for the record, both the tests you mentioned are reliable.

Boxing and Sparring Risk
It's all in the blood