SEX IN AFRICA-YOUR THOUGHTS ON RISK PLEASE

I had sex with a hiv+ person, for sure they are after tests..during sex the condom burst twice, first time she was dry, so it popped and i pulled out in 5 seconds, second time just before i came it ripped had two strokes and pulled out, third time it never broke, after sex had an abrassion on my glan. Took combibvir at 16hrs and a specialist added me alluvia at 80hrs....I thought 72hrs was the cut off time?? Pls help, i understand combivir does not work as PEP on its own??

thanks

AK

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi AK:

When PEP is administered it is done with more than one medication. Combivir would not typically be prescribed on its own. 72 hours is the cut-off time for PEP.

Your risk alone was not terribly high. You were the insertive partner, you used a condom, and even though it broke - the amount of time you were inside your partner unprotected was limited. I do not think transmission occurred in this situation.

Follow up with a 90 day test to be certain.

In health,

Richard

insertive oral sex with blood HIV risk
combo test/ first time