HIV-1 RNA on 11th day after possible exposure

Hello Dr. Wohl,

I recently took a HIV-1 RNA test on the 11th day after possible exposure and tested negative. I have been told that on the 11th day I should 99.96% confident that I have not been infected. Can I trust that this result is accurate? I have been under extreme anxiety and stress over this. Waiting three months for an anti-viral test seems like forever and its taking a toll on me. At what point can I take a second HIV-1 RNA test and be confident that I have not been infected? Am I OK after the first test? Please respond.

I agree that this is very reassuring but I would continue to get tested as recommended at weeks 4 and 12 if using an antibody test. If you have access to the combined antibody and antigen (4th generation) HIV test and are willing to accept the results, you could do that at 6 weeks or so and call it final.

Working in Africa-Kenya
dentist worried.....help dr...