Working in Africa-Kenya

I had sex with a hiv+ person, for sure they are after tests..during sex the condom burst twice, first time she was dry, so it popped and i pulled out in 5 seconds, second time just before i came it ripped had two strokes and pulled out, third time it never broke, after sex had an abrassion on my glan. Took combibvir at 16hrs and a specialist added me alluvia at 80hrs....I thought 72hrs was the cut off time?? Pls help, i understand combivir does not work as PEP on its own??

thanks

AK

We think that Combivir alone could work as PEP. In fact, the best data we have on PEP comes from health care workers given AZT alone and also prevention of mother to child transmission during birth with this same drug.

Further, in the US, CDC guidelines still recommend Combivir alone for less risky exposures. I think that is ludicrous and that PEP should be with a complete complement of HIV meds (3 or more) but these guidelines (from 2005) reflect the belief that less potent agents can be effective for PEP.

I agree with the use of PEP in your case and would not be too concerned about the late addition of Aluvia. You should finish a 4 week course and then get HIV tested then and at 12 weeks after the exposure.

I need your anwer from Sri Lanka
HIV-1 RNA on 11th day after possible exposure