Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Red Wine and HIV transmission
Feb 12, 2013

!Hola Doctor.Last week at a party, when I was drinking a glass of red wine, a very good friend of mine who is HIV+ suddenly came, took my glass and drank my wine. After he drink for a while, I took my glass back and drink my wine using the same glass. The time between when he finished and when i started drinking again is about 3 seconds. Do I get infected if there was blood strain or saliva from my HIV+ friend? Does red wine kill HIV? Please let me know if I should get tested for HIV in this situation? I thank you very much for your advice. You have been inspiring many people through your work, particularly those who are living HIV/AIDS.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

HIV is not transmitted via casual contact like this. Also, saliva can not transmit the virus. Only blood, semen including pre-ejaculatory fluids, breast milk, and vaginal secretions are capable of transmitting the virus.

Someone who is HIV negative can safely share drinking glasses, plates, eating utensils, towels, and clothes with someone who is HIV positive. You can safely shake their hands, hug them, and give them a kiss.

Check out our section on "What is HIV?" for more information on how the virus is transmitted.

In health,

Richard

Previous
can i get hiv from protected sex?
Next
Fingering- Cut Again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.