The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV in pre cum

Feb 7, 2013

I had unprotected anal sex for the first time, the only occasion in 30 years, with my boyfriend, who says to be a clean guy. He didn't cum inside my body, he took out his penis and jerked off ,ejaculating on my chest. He was about 10 minutes inside me without a condom. Four days later I had a light sore throat. What are the risks ? Should I be very worried? Thank you very much for your answer PW

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi PW:

Thanks for writing in. Pre-ejaculatory fluids can contain the virus. Anytime you have unprotected anal or vaginal sex the risk for transmission is increased.

Are you and your boyfriend monogamous? If so, that would eliminate the risk, as long as you both were tested for HIV. That test needs to have been done at least 90 days since the last time either of you were with anyone else.

Even if you are in a monogamous relationship, I still think testing for HIV and all other STD's is a good idea. I recommend testing at least once a year, and preferably every six months. Oftentimes couples get tested at the same time. Perhaps you could discuss the idea of testing together with your boyfriend.

If you want to know for sure whether or not transmission occurred in this situation you can go in for an HIV test 90 days from the incident.

In health,


55 days and Not sure about the test
Miscellaneous exposures- Asked 3 x..please answer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint