Infection period

In May of 2011, I had an incident at work. I work for a gastroenterologist and after scoping an HIV patient, I emptied the bucket in the slop sink and a "drop" splashed on the corner of my eye through my glasses. There was of course stool and blood from other patients. I washed it and thought nothing of it but of course had it in the back of my mind. I had BW done about a year later and my CD8 count was low and my cd4 was perfectly normal. I took it as there was no reaction to my CD4 and being it was almost a year later that there was no infection. There are a lot of coincidences with my symptoms but are a lot like HIV symptoms. It's been almost 2 years now.... I'm so scared and I. Losing sleep and making myself worse...should I still be tested?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Your workplace should have clearly outlined steps that should be taken in a situation like this. In the future, if something like this happens again, you should immediately go to your direct supervisor. In fact, it might be worth a conversation now. Inquiring about what the procedures are in the case of exposure to bio-hazardous materials can save you some time (and anxiety)in the future.

Should you be tested? You are well outside of the 90 day window period. You could easily go in for a test and get a conclusive result. Also, unless you are celibate, my recommendation is that anyone who is sexual active should be tested for all STD's, including HIV at least once a year, preferably every six months.

In health,

Richard

sex, and things
Test after 14 months conclusive though lymphnode swelling