sharing a drink, is it a risk?

Dear Mr Glenn, i'm really paranoid because about 4 days ago my friend had a drink from my water bottle and on the same morning i brushed my teeth and my gum blead for a few seconds, I'm not sure if my friend is HIV positive but he has had sex before. could i be at risk of getting HIV?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no possible way to get HIV from this. Something that everyone should keep in mind is that HIV can not be transmitted casually!

You can not get HIV from saliva, tears, or sweat. Never.

If you're concerned that your friend could give you HIV from sharing a water bottle with you, I would encourage you to take a second to think about how unfair this can be. If your friend really did have HIV (and there doesn't sound like there's a good reason to think that), then what they need from the people around them is support and understanding.

I applaud you for seeking out information on how HIV is transmitted. You can find tons of information on this site about that very topic! Many of the questions that you may be curious about, may have already been asked and answered!

Hope this helps!

Erik

Am i at risk? I'm so worried
DR W. the good bad & ugly