Does a Fluid has to be completely dry??

Hey there,

I hope you have time to clear something Up for me. If you say HIV is not transmitted via door knobs - is that also right if there is contaminated Fluid on them!? I went to a very dirty toilet in a very overcrowded clinic and when I was finished with Washing my hands I openend the door and touched something very smeary. I am very afraid it Could be any contaminated Fluid as it was in an Std clinic (my husband and me wanted to get Tested for a planned parenthood). It wasn't completely dry as it was sleazy. As it is very cold outside my hands were very dry and a bit chappy (not bleeding). Is there anywhere a little risk?

Thank you!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk from what you're talking about. It's true that HIV begins to die as soon as it leaves the body.

But something to think about while you're asking this question is that only fluids transmit HIV. Those are blood, breast milk, vaginal fluids, and semen. But these fluids need to be fresh and in fact coming out of someone's body (in significant amounts) and going inside of someone else's body as soon as they leave that person's body!

This last set of points is why doorknobs do not transmit HIV.

If someone, for instance, bled onto the doorknob before you touched it.. the blood wouldn't be fresh, wouldn't be in a significant amount, wouldn't be going inside your body, and most certainly wouldn't be going in your body as soon as it left theirs.

Now you might say "but what if." Remember: each and every thing I mentioned above must happen. HIV only transmits under specific circumstances, as you can see.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Am i at risk for HIV ? please help i cant stand the worry
bus