Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared Beyond Belief
Feb 1, 2013

So recently I had my first sexual experience, I had no intention on having sex, but I felt pressured into it. This happened a few days ago, and I gave and received oral sex, I asked if he was negative he confirmed, but he was tested in August. I also asked who else he had sex with between August till the present and he said he had sex with four other ppl. I scared out my mind that I got HIV from this person even though the threat is really low. I have no sores, cuts, or lacerations in my mouth, neither did he(that I know of) or did I see anything strange on his penis. I didn't allow this person to ejaculate into my mouth. What is my risk of catching an std from this person?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I can understand how you have a bunch of questions about risk and how it the sex you had may impact your health. Let's work through them one by one.

First off, sounds like you already know the risk for HIV is very low from oral sex. Sometimes when people hear "very low risk" they still feel like all risk is the same. Think about it: there's technically risk of getting hit by lightning on a cloudy and a stormy day.. but no one is going to run for cover on a cloudy day.

As for STD risk, different STDs are transmitted in different ways (either by fluid or skin-to-skin rubbing). Usually STDs are easier to get than HIV. For example, while oral sex is very low risk for HIV it can be higher risk for something like gonorrhea.

For these reasons, it's important for sexual active people to get tested for a lot of STDs on a regular basis. That's different for everyone, but we usually say every 3-6 months. Think of it as a sexual physical.

If you're still worried, I get it. It was your first time and you have unanswered questions about what might be going on with your body. But just because you had sex with someone who's had four sex partners, doesn't mean you're infected. It just means that you have questions to answer (like all sexually active people).

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
hiv infection...........
Next
Am i at risk for HIV ? please help i cant stand the worry

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.