The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Female received oral from HIV+ male & protected sex

Feb 1, 2013

I received unprotected oral from HIV+ man, we also had Protected sex. 3 wks after, I was diagnosed with chlamydia, which is frightening since I have read that it is very difficult to obtain chlamydia from oral. I tested Neg for HIV at 3weeks (I understand that I have to wait 3 months but I will get tested every month until then since I am very scared). What is my risk? Now every time I have a mild symptom It scares me and makes me think it is due to HIV.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

It is harder for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea to be transmitted orally when the person receiving the oral sex is a women. They are both more readily transmitted during penile-oral sex because the bacteria are pushed to the back of the throat when the receptive partner is performing oral sex. Both Chlamydia and Gonorrhea prefer the warm, dark environment of the back of the throat.

Were you experiencing symptoms or did you just go in for a test? Sometimes a person infected with Chlamydia or Gonorrhea can be asymptomatic, meaning that they show no symptoms. It's possible the infection happened before this incident.

Either way, since you used a condom, HIV transmission was unlikely. A test at 28 days will be a indicator of what you can expect at your 90 day test. I am confident the result will be negative.

In health,


Its 5th time please answer "Sex with Prostitute with Condom"
Used condom but am I still at risk

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint