The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV seroconversion after PEP

Feb 1, 2013

i am a 26 yr old male who Had sex with a HIV positive woman unknowingly(3 rounds), i took PEP (AZT,3TC) for 3days and left because i went and tested her for hiv but the health worker lied about her result because she had arranged with her to report hiv neg. result.....later after 10days, i tested her and she was hiv postive and she knew her status before....i started PEP at day 10 post exposure...i tested after 6 weeks of post exposure and was hiv neg using antibody tests(determine and statpak) now i want to go for DNA PCR for hiv but am scared....please help me about this. How likely am i going to sero convert

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

After 72 hours, PEP is no longer effective. However, since this was a one-time occurrence (yes I realize you had sex three times with her), and you were the insertive partner, the likelihood of transmission remains fairly low.

Your six week test, while not conclusive is a fairly good indicator of what you can expect at 90 days. I would follow up with a 90 day test. I am confident that the result will be negative.

Also, you don't mention whether or not you used a condom. I'm going to assume you didn't. If you had used a condom, then I would have said transmission was unlikely, and you did not need to test for this incident in particular.

In health,


Thrush n only 8 weeks scared
Its 5th time please answer "Sex with Prostitute with Condom"

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint