Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Have a Baby/Sperm Washing/Not in Meds
Jan 30, 2013

Afternoon Doctor First and like always, thanks for all your help and support, we really appreciated.

My question is a combination of factors but basically I would love to become a daddy, I would love to have a family but I would never put in risk the baby and the mother NEVER.

I read about the Sperm Washing but I dont know if this will apply to me or not. I am positive since 6 years ago but I am not in meds yet, my CD4 count still over 700, CD% 46 and VL is 67 so it looks like I am able to control the infection.

My question is, it is the same to have the Sperm Washing with or without been on meds or it is a recommendation to be on meds?

Been honest I was waiting for me to start on meds so the VL is been undetectable but it looks like it will take a while for me to start on meds. So basically, Sperm Washing will be safe in my current situation or I need to be n meds so it can be safer? And last one, with the Sperm Washing it is a need for my wife to take meds so she doesnt get infected?

Once again thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

Sperm washing has been reported to be a safe and effective way for HIV+ men to father babies with HIV- women. But, some data suggest this costly procedure may not be necessary.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_sperm_pregnancy_1667_22441.shtml

I would discuss this issue with your HIV provider. It could be that placing you on HIV meds (at least temporarily) and PrEP for the would be mom (why not?) would work just as well.

DW

Previous
20 weeks is that enough?
Next
Case of gingivitis and deep kissing Help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.