The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr.David Wohl

Jan 30, 2013

Dr.Wohl, Thank you for answering my question earlier. I am from India. I tested negative repeatedly 2 yrs after exposure with antibody tests. I am concerned about hiv-2. After 2 yrs what test would be apropriate to rule out HIV-2 other than the antibody tests as I heard that there are few cases of seronegative hiv-2 that exist in India. Thank you

Response from Dr. Wohl

Many HIV antibody tests look for HIV 1 and HIV 2 antibodies. If your clinic uses a kit that does not check for HIV 2, ask around and see if the can test for this virus with a different assay. This is very rare in India, as you say. DW

fluid contact
So this is conclusive??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint