Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

she was hiv positive
Jan 30, 2013

Hello Doc, am 28yrs Male from Africa Uganda,8 days ago i got sexually involved with a girl of 19yrs we used a condom for most of the intercourse but before i climaxed my condom broke at bottom tip, am not sure how long i lasted their in her virgina after my condom broke cos i was drunk but it was around 5 mins when i realized my penis head was not covered i did not continue sex stoped there and i did not cum cos i got scared right away ,then the following day i took her to test and she turned out to be HIV POSITIVE SHE GOT THE INFECTION IN LAST 8 MONTHS SO THE VIRAL LOAD IN HER BLOOD MAY BE TOO MUCH SINCE SHE IS NOT ON HIV MEDICATION,it was about 10hrs doctor prescribed me to start taking pep,my combination is Efcure 600 mg and another one lamivudine something like that, i take one tablet of efcure and lamivudine one tablet,those are 2 tablets per day,BUT MY QUESTION IS 1 I GET NO SIDE EFFECT AT ALL IS IT WORKING? 2 WHAT IS MY RISK OF GETTING HIV AT THE END WITH THE BROKEN CONDOM? 3 IS THAT COMBINATION OF PEP REALLY WORK? OUR MEDICINE IS FROM INDIA NOT SURE IF IT WORK THE SAME DO YOU HAVE ANY SUCCESSFUL STORIES AFTER PEP USE? AM SO SCARED TO DEATH DOCTOR I CANT WAIT TILL I TEST BUT PLEASE WHAT ARE MY CHANCES TO SURVIVE IN PERCENTAGE ? I WILL DONATE SOMETHING ?please reply

Response from Dr. Wohl

I agree that this is a risky exposure and the PEP was indicated. Efcure is efavirenz. I suspect you are taking this and the lamivudine plus one other medication (either separately or combined with the lamivudine). If so, this is decent PEP. It may be there are no other options available. In the US we tend to use drugs other than efavirenz for PEP as about 1 in 10 cases of HIV transmission is with virus that can be drug resistant (and about half of these can be expected to be efavirenz resistant). At this point I would stay on the PEP for 4 weeks. No side effects does not mean they are not active but I understand your concern if the quality of the medication can not be assured.

I would get an HIV test at 4 and 12 weeks after the exposure. Good luck.

DW

Previous
Please put my fear to rest!
Next
For Dr. Wohl only..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.