The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV symptoms

Jan 30, 2013

Dear Doctor, I have selected you as the person who could provide me with the best answer. I am 26 years old. Since last 64 days I am having strange skin rashes and dry skin. After one month of getting rashes my lymph node started to swell and it was difficult to move my joints too. I feel that my fingers are swollen too. I did test for HIV after 9 days of exposure and again got tested on 35 th day. It was negative. Beside these I also did a rapid test with 4 th generation kit on 63 day and the test was negative. My symptoms are killing me and I am so scared. I do not know what to do. I went to dermatologist and she did a allergy test which was OK according to her. She also thought that it was a viral infection looking on the rashes but it is always increasing and never going down. I do not know how to get rid of this. Do you think I am really infected. When I has sex I had condom but I dont know if there was any accident. Please do suggest me what I need to do.

Response from Dr. Wohl

To be honest, I think this is something else completely. I would get a 3 month HIV antibody test just to close the book on that one but I would be more concerned about syphilis. Hepatitis C can also cause rashes but your exposure sounds all wrong (it also sounds wrong for HIV).

You need a more comprehensive work up. I would see teh care of a good general internal medicine physician.


Freaking out help please!
Am i at risk ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint