Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom Mistake
Jan 30, 2013

Concern. About 7 weeks ago I had sex with a female of unknown status. My concern is that I fingered her vagina while kissing her lips and then after I open the condom and had protected sex with her. My concern is that I had vaginal fluids in my fingers when I put the condom on my penis. I believe I touched the inside of the tip of the condom when I placed it on my fingers. How risky was it and do you recommend that I get checked at week thirteen? I usually get a full HIV and std test once a year. Should I wait until September when I get my checkup?

Response from Dr. Wohl

This sounds like close to zero risk. If you have not had a recent HIV test, I would get one as a matter of routine practice.

The reason this is not risky is that for infection to happen there needs to be sufficient virus present. A small amount of vaginal fluid is unlikely to have the concentration of virus present. Less fluid also means less opportunity for any virus (if even present) to find its way to places it can enter your body.

DW

Previous
3rd time please help - Many Symptoms.
Next
Freaking out help please!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.