The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV from someone uninfected?

Jan 29, 2013

Hello, I had sex with a man 6 months ago, I am a man as well, and developed a swollen lymph node. However, he got a hiv test 6 months after our sex which was negative and Showed me the results? Can I rule out hiv or is there a way to get it from someone who tests negative six months after sex? Thanks for any help you can give in this issue! I appreciate it. Also, this was my first and only time having sex. The exposure was unprotected oral, giving and taking, and protected received anal.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

His six month test would indicate that he was HIV negative at the time you two had sex. Any testing done outside of 90 days is considered conclusive.

Your exposure was low risk. Oral sex is a lower risk activity, and I would consider protected anal sex to be lower risk as well. Outside of abstinence, using a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex is the best way to protect yourself against HIV and many other STD's.

Now that you are sexually active, it is important for you to be tested for all STD's, including HIV at least once a year, and preferably every six months. Visit to find a testing facility near you.

In health,


dr richard pls answer to me!!!140th day reslut!!
Possible intentional needle poke by sex worker

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint